Have you ever noticed how many references there are to “pop culture” in World of Warcraft games? Well, there are MANY! If you are like me, you will find these things fascinating. Some of these things are obvious, but others are pretty dark. Makes you wonder … did these guys deliberately sit down and put up these references, or were they just the natural result of being a part of today’s society? Either way, it’s a pretty interesting read, and it will definitely make you look for more references (because I’m not going to tell you all of them in this article, maybe not even ANY article …. mmwwaahahaha).
Ok, back to the real me … or was that the real me? Anyway, let’s start with the pop culture references. But where to start? Warcraft? Warcraft II? Warcraft III? World of Warcraft? The flaming crusade? Yes it’s true. EVERYONE has a ton of pop culture references. But let’s start at the beginning, shall we? Since they started with the light, we will too. But don’t worry, there are plenty more where they came from!
In Warcraft: Humans and Orcs, to enable cheat mode, type “Corwin of Amber. Corwin is a character in a book series called The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny.
But we are just getting started! Let’s move on to Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness. 1. The sword fighting sound effects are taken directly from the soundtrack of the Black Knight scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
2. The cheat code for unlimited mana and all spells investigated is “every little thing that does”. This, of course, is a line from the Police song “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic”. Great, huh?
3. How about this … “on screen” is a map cheat code and “makeitso” is a quick compile cheat. If those phrases sound familiar, it’s because Captain Picard uses them frequently in Star Trek TNG! Also from the show, “It’s a good day to die,” a Klingon proverb, is an invulnerability trap. The REAL origin of that phrase, however, is found in Greek history. In the battle of Thermopylae. Leonidas’ army had no chance of defeating the Persians, and this phrase is what he said to the Persian emissary who came to ask for his surrender.
Now we go to Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos / The Frozen Throne. If I listed them all here, this article would go on forever. However, I will list a few that I personally find particularly funny.
or “Nananananananana … ME !!” -Troll Batrider (Batman)
or “Look! In the sky! It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s me!” -Windrider (Superman)
or “Mortar Kombat!” -Dwarf Mortar Team (Mortal Kombat)
or “I stole your precious” -Spellbreaker (Gollum in LOTR)
or “In the deep, no one can hear you scream. Well … they can, but it’s really muffled.” -Naga Royal Guard (famous line from Alien … sorta … LOL)
or “There is no Banshee, only ZUUL!” -Banshee (Sigourney Weaver again, this time in Ghostbusters)
or “There is no spoon.” This Unlimited Mana Cheat comes from The Matrix.
or “Say hello to my little friend.” -Troll Headhunter (Al Pacino in Scarface)
o “keysersoze” is a cheat code to get extra gold. It refers, of course, to the movie The Usual Suspects, in which Keyser Soze is the mysterious crime boss … * wink *.
o Monty Python and the Holy Grail – these are just a few …
* “I never say NOR!” -Knight (The Knights who say Ni)
* “Help! Help! They’re holding me back!” -Shirt (Dennis the Constitutional Peasant)
* “Are you the king? Well, I didn’t vote for you!” -Peasant (The Fifth Peasant Gatherer)
* “We have a witch! Can we burn her?” -Peasant (witch burning scene)
* “It’s just a superficial wound!” -Footman (The Black Knight)
or Star Wars … we just give you a few here too …
* “Once you head down the dark path, it will rule your destiny forever. Plus, you went dental.” -Acolyte (Yoda – sorta … LOL)
* “We are not the dryads you are looking for.” (“These are not the droids you are looking for” -Episode IV)
* “At last we will have revenge” -Demon Hunter (Darth Maul – Episode I)
or “I see dead people” -Far Seer
“I eat dead people” -Ghoul
“I see undead people” -Necromancer
(All, of course, references to Haley Joel Osment’s proclamation in The Sixth Sense.)
or “Click on my baby, one more time” – Sorceress (Britney Spears)
or “Shot through the heart, and I’m to blame” -Archer (Bon Jovi)
or “Where I lay my head is my home! See that stone? That is my pillow!” -Rexxar (Metallica … sorta … LOL)
or “My tiger is trained for war. It’s great!” -Hunter (Tony the Tiger)
o “D’oh” – Annoying Peasant / “Doe” – Annoying Dryad (Homer Simpson)
or “Fukui-san!” “Yes, go ahead.” “What the Iron Troll is doing right now is putting heads in a pot. They have to boil for 20 minutes so that the eyes can be used in a second dish, an eye straw and raspberry.” “Mmmm, that sounds good!” -Troll Witch Doctor (Iron Chef parody)
or “This is my owl. There are many like this, but this is mine.” (Full metal jacket and Jarhead)
or “Only you can prevent forest fires” -Druida de la Clara (Smokey the Bear)
This is by no means an exhaustive list of references in the WoW worlds mentioned above. And I haven’t even STARTED with World of Warcraft itself, which I’ll have to put in its own article, as there are so many references. Look for references to: fashion, games, comics, movies, music, vacations, sports, television and many other things in the next Pop Cultures article.